Courgettes dont freeze well as they go mushy, but this tastey soup will keep in the freezer for some time.
- 1 kg courgettes - any size and colour
- 250g potatoes (suitable for mashing), peeled or scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled & chopped
- 30ml olive oil
- 150g soft cheese (see note below for alternatives
- Handful fresh chives, chopped
- Handful fresh summer herbs of your choice, chopped
- 1 ½ pints water (or mild-flavoured stock
- Wash the courgettes and chop them into chunks. Cut the potatoes into cubes (smaller than 1 inch).
- Heat the oil gently in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic.
- Gently cook for about 5 minutes, to soften.
- Add the potatoes. Stirr. Cook gently, covered, for about 15 minutes, until about half-cooked.
- Add the courgettes and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 1/2 pints of water - just enough to cover the contents of the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat and liquidise the soup.
- Add the Cheese & herbs.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Serve with fresh bread.
About 40 minutes. (Most of this is waiting, so actual preparation time is about 15 minutes